Sunday, April 12, 2009

Our First Easter Together

Well I didn't get to go home for Easter but Ramil and I actually had a really fun day together. Here are the highlights:

Ramil has never been visited by the Easter Bunny so last night he made a stop here for him. Ramil was very surprised and excited when he came here to find his very own basket of goodies waiting for him.

Ramil had heard from a couple people about the town of Emmett and so he asked me if I wanted to go. Neither of us had been so we just looked it up on Google Maps, packed some snacks and drinks and took off.

Once we got into town I saw signs for a Reservoir and Dam so we followed the signs until we found it. It was such a beautiful day and since the water level is still so low we walked around down by the river. I found a couple little lizards that we chased for awhile and Ramil tried to murder one. I still think he did but we never found the body and he denies it.

The road going into Emmett is cut right into the hill and they have this amazing pull off look out point. We stopped at it on our way back. We all know how much I LOVE pictures of me but I thought I should include some kind of proof that I was there too. You could see the whole valley and they had a 9-11 memorial and some historical points of interest there too.

This is a much better picture of the view, at least for me. It was really pretty and a fun little spur of the moment jaunt. I think we will do more of these in the future, just take turn picking somewhere nearby that we haven't been before and go.
After we got back we invited one of Ramil's classmates over who was alone for Easter and had a delicious dinner. I made all of my specialties, twice baked potatoes, 3 layer jello, homemade rolls, and then ham and white cake with chocolate frosting. It was a really nice day, very peaceful and fun. I missed my kids and other family but yet it felt good to show Ramil what an American Easter is like.
In the Philippines they "celebrate" the whole week before Easter Sunday, they call it Holy Week. On Friday you don't work, eat meat, or clean yourself. People gather to watch others hammer nails into their hands and hang themselves on crosses. Then on Sunday they have a feast to celebrate the Resurrection. Most Filipinos are Catholic but it's more of a custom of the country than just a certain religion. Anyway I think it is interesting to hear what others do outside of our traditions in the U.S. which is all most of us know. I hope I get to see it for myself someday but I definitely like ours better!

No comments: